Spring time isn’t just for cleaning, it’s also a great time to refresh and renew both ourselves and our homes. After a long winter, your gutters can be cluttered, sidewalks and patios cracked and vegetable and flower gardens are dead and dry.
Between April and May is a great time to inspect and repair any areas of your home that may need a little TLC. We’ve provided some advice on how to get your home up to par so you can enjoy the warmer days.
- Check the gutters. Improper drainage can lead to water in your basement or crawl space. Make sure gutters are secure and free from clutter or leaks. While up there, check the roof for any missing or damaged shingles. If necessary, trim back any tree limbs that might be hanging over the house and could cause damage.
- Inspect the foundation and exterior. Check for cracking and deterioration in the foundation, sidewalks, stairs and patios. Fill in any cracks with a concrete crack filler or silicone caulk. Power wash and seal the concrete if weather permits.
- Service your A/C unit. Have a professional clean the air conditioning system if needed. Clean coils operate more efficiently. Change interior filters on a regular basis (every three months). It’s also important to keep the area around the heating and cooling system clear.
- Prepare your lawn. Are your lawnmower and trimmers working and ready to use? If needed, sprinkle grass seed and weed killer for a healthier lawn.
- Inspect doors and windows. Check for broken or damaged windows and screens and make sure weather stripping is intact. Inspect all window and door hardware.
- Lastly, prepare for insects. Use ready-to-use sprays to treat windows and doors. Keep floors and countertops clean and free from food particles. Also, following all of the above steps will help keep pests out of the house.
If you’re looking for a new or second home, United Country Real Estate is the largest fully integrated network of real estate and auction professionals nationwide. We specialize in providing advanced marketing for the sale of country homes, recreational properties, vacation homes, luxury estates and more. For more information on our available listings across the nation, visit www.UnitedCountry.com